Celebrating 10+ years
City Sikhs have a strong track record in delivering high-value innovative projects and collaborations. Here is a summary of our work and journey:
- Trustees Param Singh and Harry Virdee awarded royal honours in the Queen’s Honours List
- City Sikhs wins the ‘Community Initiative of the Year’ at the British Indian Awards
- 50 Sikhs trained as mental health first aiders as part of City Sikhs initiative to develop mental health awareness and skills amongst British Sikhs.
- Landmark events are organised to honor the 550th anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji including an event at City Hall in partnership with the Mayor of London’s office and an interfaith event in Edinburgh with the Scottish Ahlul Bayt Society.
- Organised a London based exhibition in partnership with the Indian High Commission honoring the life and philosophy of Guru Nanak as part of the ‘Year of Universal Brotherhood’ being promoted by the Government of India across the globe.
- Third Vaisakhi in the Square organised in partnership with the Mayor of London’s office welcoming 20000 Sikhs and Londoners to Trafalgar Square.
- Supported historic events honoring the 100th anniversary of Jallianwala Bagh and the inaugural launch of the South Asian Heritage Month held in partnership with a variety of faith and interfaith organisations.
- Parliamentary event hosting the Sikhnet Team sharing inspirational stories from American Sikhs and spirituality.
- Interfaith tree planting in the City of London
- Onkardeep Singh (youngest south Asian ever awarded) and Jagdev Singh Virdee both awarded MBEs and Krish Raval advisory board member awarded an OBE
- A historic event celebrating the life of Princess Sophia Duleep Singh held in Parliament and supported by the Women’s Vote Centenary Grant Scheme
- City Sikhs organise their second Vaisakhi in the Square with the Mayor of London’s office
- New annual series of ‘Politics in the City’ setup in partnership with CHN
- Historic launch of an annual Midlands launch of the British Sikh Report
- Organised 2 events in partnership with the Home Office to encourage more applications from Gurdwaras for the Places of Worship security funding scheme
- City Sikhs is awarded £10000 to support mental health for the British Sikh community by the National Lottery Fund
- The British Sikh Report team officially split away from City Sikhs into a separate charitable trust
- 7000 members and growing
- Jasvir Singh and Dr Kamel Hothi both awarded OBEs
- Charity name rebranded to “City Sikhs”
- City Sikhs becomes a partner in the “Grand Trunk” project launched at the Guild Hall focusing on stories of partition
- Strong relationship with the Football Association who provide 300 tickets for matches valued at £10,000 to encourage more Sikhs into watching Football
- City Sikhs become an official partner for the Vaisakhi in the Square with the Mayor of London’s office
- Sixth Sikh inspired corporate panel discussion in the city in partnership with BDO accounting firm
- City Sikhs and City Hindus Network organise their second joint general election hustings in partnership with the Chartered Insurance Institute
- Strong relationships developed between a variety of government bodies and City Sikhs
- Jasvir Singh becomes chair of Faith Forum for London greatly increasing the profile of City Sikhs in interfaith circles
- Introduction of a mandatory donation based on income for all ambassadors and trustees to provide a new way to fund the charity and increase commitment from volunteers
- First evening of Indian Classical music held at parliament in partnership with Raj Academy
- Successful charity registration with the charity commission becoming a “Voice of British Sikhs”
- First event in Delhi launching City Sikhs India with mixed success
- London’s largest general election hustings event in partnership with the City Hindus Network and the Insurance Institute paving the way for strong event partnerships between CHN and CSN
- Cancellation of City Sikhs Diwali Ball in protest from some Sikh organisations regarding a black Diwali and cancellation of all future social networking events and as a result loss of only revenue stream
- First flagship Sikh interfaith event in partnership with St Paul’s cathedral discussing women and faith with an all-female panel
- First lawyer themed event in partnership with the Association of Asian Women Lawyers
- Fourth and fifth Sikh inspired corporate panel discussions in the city in partnership with Norton Rose Fullbright law firm and UBS bank respectively
- First corporate panel discussion event in Birmingham
- Launch of the first edition of the British Sikh Report which gains widespread publicity in Asian and mainstream media and paves the way for rich data on British Sikhs for the benefit of government agencies, charities, Sikh organisations and the British public supported by Dr Surinder Hundal and Kulveer Ranger
- Second and third Sikh inspired corporate panel discussion events in the city in partnership with State Street and UBS banks respectively
- First Sikh organisation to talk at huge faith events including Limmud and Living Islam
- London’s only cross party political panel debate with mayoral candidates held in partnership with Deloitte paving the way for stronger connections between parliamentarians and CSN
- First themed panel discussion held in partnership with Herbert Smith Freehills focusing on Asians and Sport
2009 – 2011
- Dhruv Patel founder of City Hindus Network and Param Singh meet at a leadership training course called Faith in Leadership
- Launch party in London to mark launch of organisation with focus on professional networking
- First Sikh inspired corporate panel discussion held in the city in partnership with Barclays Wealth supported by Dr Surinder Hundal and Krish Raval and attended by 200 people in Canary Wharf