Are you interested in working for City Sikhs?
Summary for Charity Director role:
Reports to: Nominated Trustee(s)
Hours: 20 hrs per week (0.5 FTE)
Role Type: Permanent, Part Time
Salary: £30,000 pro rata (£15,000)
Location: Virtual work from home
Responsible for: 40 volunteers, placement students, funding applications, day to day project / admin
Probationary Period: 3 months
Fixed Term Contract: 1 year
Purpose of the Role
This is an exciting time to lead City Sikhs as Charity Director. The coming years are integral for the charity as we look to develop and strengthen a number of workstreams. The post holder will lead on developing our strategy to achieve this, raising funds and building partnerships, and ultimately further embedding our presence in the world.
The Charity Director will lead and manage the charity, working with a high degree of autonomy. They will shape the work of the charity and ensure it is delivered effectively. This is a broad and varied role, combining strategic planning and leadership with operational delivery.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Further develop the strategic vision for the charity, in consultation with the Trustee Board, and deliver it effectively, including:
- Building the charity’s network of partnerships with other organisations and charities through attending meetings and events and representing the interests of City Sikhs
- Planning and managing a programme of events, creating a structure to facilitate partnership working and cultivate volunteer led activity
- Leading on marketing, outreach and engagement with our wider membership and stakeholders, including but not limited to social media.
- Reporting to the Trustee Board on a regular basis
Lead on fundraising to meet the charity’s strategic vision and fulfil project goals, including:
- Identifying suitable fundraising opportunities, grants and leading on applications and evaluation
- Responding to sponsorship and advertising requests
- Attending fundraising events, training and opportunities as required
Updating and maintaining financial records for use for budgetary purposes including invoicing and grant reporting.
- Managing others to assist with the delivery of work and projects
- Working with and providing guidance and support to volunteers to drive workstream agendas, in conjunction with the Trustee Board
- Carry out administration and implementation of the duties outlined above
- Adhere to City Sikhs policies and procedures
- To undertake training as required
- Assist with other work, events and projects as needed
- Any other duties commensurate with the post, as agreed with Trustees.
Our ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- Proven ability to work independently and use initiative.
- Highly organised and able to balance multiple priorities and manage time effectively.
- Ability to think strategically and to communicate the strategic vision.
- Good leadership skills and the ability to motivate and develop a small team to deliver results.
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills. Able to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Technology and digital skills including MS Office, GSuite, Zoom
- Some experience of income generation and management, ideally with proven success in fundraising.
- Experience of managing staff and/or volunteers.
- Flexible attitude and willingness to develop in role.
- Both appreciates and models the core principles and values of the organisation, including the Sikh ethos
To apply for the vacancy, please email your CV and a covering letter (no more than two pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your interest in the role and how your skills and experience meet the job description and person specification Please include ‘Charity Director’ in the subject line. Deadline for applications is Friday 18 June 2021. Initial interviews will take place mid June 2021 onwards.
The Sikhs of the Guru inspire the Sikhs of the Guru to serve. Serving the holy congregation they receive the fruit of happiness.
ਸੇਵਾ ਮੰਗੈ ਸੇਵਕੋ ਲਾਈਆਂ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਸੇਵ ॥ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗੁ ਮਸਕਤੇ ਤੂਠੈ ਪਾਵਾ ਦੇਵ ॥ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਵਸਗਤਿ ਸਾਹਿਬੈ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਣ ਕਰੇਵ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰਣੈ ਮਨਸਾ ਸਭ ਪੂਰੇਵ ॥੩॥
Your servant begs to serve those who are enjoined to Your service. The opportunity to work hard serving the Saadh Sangat is obtained, when the Divine Lord is pleased. Everything is in the Hands of our Lord and Master; He Himself is the Doer of deeds. I am a sacrifice to the True Guru, who fulfills all hopes and desires. ||3||
Our Lord and Master is the Creator, the Cause of causes. He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of all hearts. Bless me with Your Grace, Lord, and link me to Your service. Slave Nanak has come to Your Sanctuary. ||4||31||44||
ਕਿਰਸਾਣੀ ਕਿਰਸਾਣੁ ਕਰੇ ਲੋਚੈ ਜੀਉ ਲਾਇ ॥
ਹਲੁ ਜੋਤੈ ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੁਤੁ ਧੀ ਖਾਇ ॥
ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਕਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਛਡਾਇ ॥੧॥
The farmers love to work their farms;
they plow and work the fields, so that their sons and daughters may eat.
In just the same way, the Lord’s humble servants chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, and in the end, the Lord shall save them. ||1||
© City Sikhs Foundation. All rights reserved. Registered UK Charity number: 1160843.